Chief Petty Officer John Pegg
The Naval History
"Mr. Navy" Trains Winnipeg Sailors
ohn Pegg was fondly known as "The
Chief" to over 6000 prairie sailors who trained, one or
another under his guidance in Naval routine, discipline
John joined the Royal
Navy as a Boy-1 in 1913 for six (6) cents a week. Retiring
from the Royal Navy as a Chief Petty Officer after 24
years, in 1937 John left London to come to Montreal. Shortly
after, he transferred to the Gertrude Avenue (No. 4 Fire
Hall), The Winnipeg Division, which at the time had a
full division complement of 100 Reserves. John Pegg was
distinctively known as the Training Chief, and during
these times was the most respected individual in the Division.
With the onset of war, the Security Storage Building on
Ellice Avenue became The Winnipeg Division, but was called
the Old Freighter by John.
Chief John Pegg became
known as "Mr. Navy". In 1942, when John Pegg went to Halifax
Dockyard to instruct experienced seamen for higher ranks,
it made all the local papers. He became a Commissioned
Warrant Bosn. He remained there until 1946 whereupon he
transferred to HMCS Peregrine, where processing for Discharge
of Naval personnel was taking place at the cessation of
the European War.
In 1947 John returned
to CHIPPAWA and was involved in Recruiting and training
until 1952, at which time he became Assistant Staff Officer
for the Sea Cadets in Manitoba and Saskatchewan and the
Northern points such as Flin Flon and Lynn Lake. It was
at this time that he took the Queen's Commission and became
Retiring in 1957,
with the rank of LCdr, John was famous for pulling up
a bollard and, outspinning any yarn a prairie sailor could
think up. John and Mrs. Pegg attended, in an honorary
capacity, many Naval Functions up until his death in 1984.
John Pegg, to those
who served with him, was a very special person. He is
missed by all who have had the pleasure to make his aquaintance.
The Next Page: Petty
Officer Thomas "Pop" MacKay.