HMCS ASSINIBOINE, December, 1940 - River
The Story of HMCS ASSINIBOINE, 1942-1946
Completed in 1932 as HMS Kempenfelt, she
was transferred to the RCN at Devonport on October 19, 1939,
and arrived in Halifax on November 17. Assigned to the America
and West Indies Station, she left for Jamaica on December 5
to carry out Caribbean patrols. While so employed Assiniboine
assisted in the capture of the German freighter Hannover in
the Mona Passage and towed her into Kingston, Jamaica. She returned
to Halifax on March 31, 1940, and was employed there as a local
escort until January 15, 1941, when she sailed for the U.K.
to join EG 10, Greenock. With the formation of Newfoundland
Command in June, 1941, "Bones" was allocated to it for mid-ocean
escort service. While thus employed with convoy SC.94, on August
6, 1942, she rammed and sank U 210, necessitating repairs at
Halifax from August 29 to December 20. Not long after her return
to service, while on passage to Londonderry on March 2, 1943,
she attacked a U-boat with depth charges set too shallow, causing
serious damage to her stern. Repairs were effected at Liverpool
from March 7 to July 13, 1943, when she joined EG C-1 of MOEF.
In April, 1944, she returned to Canada for refit at Shelburne,
N.S., and on August 1 arrived at Londonderry to become a member
of EG 12 and, a few weeks later, EG 11. In December she was
loaned to EG 14, Liverpool, and remained with it until VE-Day.
She returned to Canada in June, 1945, and, after brief employment
as a troop transport, was paid off August 8, 1945. On November
10, 1945, en route for scrapping at Baltimore, Assiniboitie
broke her tow and was wrecked near East Point, P.E.I. Her remains
were broken up in situ in 1952.
HMCS ASSINIBOINE II
Assiniboine was the first ship delivered
postwar to the RCN by Marine Industries Ltd., Sorel. She was
commissioned on August 16, 1956, and recommissioned on June
28, 1963, following the year's work required for conversion
to a destroyer helicopter carrier (DDH). She completed her Destroyer
Life Extension (DELEX) programme at Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal,
in November, 1979. The ship, a member of the 1st Canadian Destroyer
Squadron, was based at Halifax when she was retired.
- The Naval Museum of Manitoba - 1 Navy Way - Winnipeg Manitoba
- R3C 4J7